Skip to main content
Blogging 101

Should I be making lists?

It seems that every blog I go to these days has lists about something. Likes, dislikes, funny smells, favourite places, reasons not to yell at your mom.

I'm wondering if I'm not doing enough in this space.

What is it that keeps people coming back? What is it that peaks their curiosity so much that they'll want to return?

Is this really just a space where I write stuff I want to read? And, occasionally, I happen to catch someone's eye and they may or may not be interested in reading one or two entries.

Some people have very pretty blogs. I want to steal their fonts. I'm very obsessed with fonts. I like mine but I think it could be better.

Do you know, I can get lost in other people's blogs? Just start clicking from page to page, finding out about who they are, what they did when they were little - basically becoming close to them and they don't even know it.

I think I could get lost in creating my own web site. I can picture myself, being on the computer, hours on end, missing all meals during the day, just typing and adding and checking to see who's checking...

That would be scary. Getting a program that checks your stats. Who's clicking where? At what times? What's their demographic?

When we launched the travel channel, we tracked EVERY page. I checked that thing every 5 minutes to see what content people wanted to see. It was addicting.

"See, I told you. People LOVE the information on Nunavut"

What would happen to my writing? Would I censor myself, based on what I thought people wanted to hear?

I need to get a domain name. I need to have more than this page. I need to really give myself a presence online.

There I go again, making plans and overwhelming myself so that I won't get to any of it.

I can always dream of looking like this

Or this

Or this

Or this

Maybe I'll just stick to the writing.

Speaking of..I've been trying to get to an article all day...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I'm baaaack!

Hard to believe that last entry was almost three years ago! Many moons ago, I set this blog up to chronicle our journeys. Once we were grounded a bit more, it kind of lost its way. I spent some time working on my writing offline, taking on different projects and working full time as a technical writer. It was difficult to keep this blog up. Not for any real reason I can articulate. Just had my words redirected to other avenues for awhile. But, I'm pleased to say, after over a decade away, we are back in the UK, living and re-experiencing a place we enjoyed in the mid-2000s. Social media has certainly changed the way we look at blogs. I'm excited to navigate this new world, explore just what people post, what people read. What's better on one of the many new platforms and what's still appropriate for good old fashioned blogosphere. For now, here's a peek at where we're staying -- in a pretty little village just outside of Oxford. A temporary home ...

They Started a Heat Wave

(sing) a tropical heat wave.... (White Christmas fans? anyone? c'mon..) Yes, there is a heat wave, with warm sun and highs of 30 but NOT HERE IN KOREA. Yes, it is warm and humid but there is no sun. Do you want to know where the sun has ended up? BELFAST!! Lucky bastards....I wanted a tan by August gosh darnit - I should have stayed with the Guinness. And, it wouldn't have been a day on this blog without some reference to the weather. The weekend was a nice long relaxing one but super panic hit on Monday night and I was ready to get out of the house. I was freaking out yet again about the garbage (what the hell is wrong with me?) and didn't have a great sleep. There is something to be said for cooping yourself up in your house to watch English speaking DVDs for a day. But I think this only stops you from experiencing the culture. I did venture out on Saturday by bus (whoa, crazy bus drivers) to Pusan where the open markets you can barter and get cheap shirts - thanks to my...

It Only Takes One Trip

I have a longer post to write, although it may not be until Monday. I don't want to alarm anyone who may actually know me but for the first time in my 30 years I have broken a bone. Nothing exciting, just slipped and fell outside the Family Mart and cracked my foot. What we thought was a sprain turned out to be a break and now, half cast and all, I'm the hob-along-teacher, bossing children all over the place to carry my books and get me water. If I knew the royal treatment I would get, I would have broken my foot months ago. Mother Ship and family posse - never fear. Will talk to you tomorrow.