Skip to main content
A Canadian Friend

Ohhh!!! I made a Canadian friend here in Belfast. Well, let's say I met her and will see her again.

I had decided over the weekend to start taking some courses Queens University. Their Open University has classes in the evenings and I thought it would be a great way to get my brain going again. I relish the idea of just learning something, anything, and I've chosen an literature course as my first.

And, sure enough, there was another girl, probably a couple years younger then me, who, was from Canada! I immediately started asking her a ba-zillion questions, walked part way home with her and almost got her mobile but decided perhaps I'd wait to know her longer than 2 hours before I started stalking her.

We parted ways, saying 'goodbye' and that we'd see each other next week.

I was quite excited to have met someone but walking home, the two sides of my brain starting chatting - kinda like the Seinfeld episode, where his two brains are playing chess? except, my brain was not split into intellect and sex drive, more just adventurer to lazy side.

A side started:

There were 8 other people in the class, mostly from Belfast. One was a highschool teacher, another a retired lady, a couple of foreign student-looking people who were looking to brush up on their english - and perhaps do the same thing I was; meet people.

I could have engaged these people in conversation, found out about their lives, what they thought of Belfast, what kinds of things they would suggest for foreigners, ask them questions about what it's really like living here.

I could have made friends with people FROM here. But why did I suddenly latch on to a Canadian, a person similar to ones I have grown up with? What is the point of living in another country if you're just going to 'stick to your own kind'?

Then L side argued:

It was not just that she was Canadian but also that she was a traveller, new to a city where she didn't know many people. Just like me. She had actually been here longer then me but at the same time, I knew she probably had been through the 'meeting new people' thing before. She somehow could understand that desire to meet people to hang out with.

Not only that, we also had the Canadian connection.

We all know it's a big country. And she's from out East however, there we still had the our red and white in common.

I suppose this whole entry is stating the obvious but being people like to be comfortable, they like to be surrounded by things they know.

Maybe it's because the amount of energy it takes to put yourself in a new situation. It's a nice release to just be with someone who you don't have to try too hard with.

This did not seem to convince Side A:

But then, why did I move away from everything comfortable if I just wanted to be able to have easy conversations with people?

L side of the brain back at you:

To experience new things, to meet new people and yes YES sometimes, to meet someone who has come from the same place so you can have conversations about the new place, get all the things that frustrate you, exhilarite, infuriate you off your chest and go on with the rest of your day 'getting into' the culture, which is what you came here for in the first place.

A side was too tired and confused to continue. Yay for cryptic stream of consciousness.

I'll see Canadiana girl next Tuesday and take it from there. Maybe next week my A side will be in charge.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I'm baaaack!

Hard to believe that last entry was almost three years ago! Many moons ago, I set this blog up to chronicle our journeys. Once we were grounded a bit more, it kind of lost its way. I spent some time working on my writing offline, taking on different projects and working full time as a technical writer. It was difficult to keep this blog up. Not for any real reason I can articulate. Just had my words redirected to other avenues for awhile. But, I'm pleased to say, after over a decade away, we are back in the UK, living and re-experiencing a place we enjoyed in the mid-2000s. Social media has certainly changed the way we look at blogs. I'm excited to navigate this new world, explore just what people post, what people read. What's better on one of the many new platforms and what's still appropriate for good old fashioned blogosphere. For now, here's a peek at where we're staying -- in a pretty little village just outside of Oxford. A temporary home ...

They Started a Heat Wave

(sing) a tropical heat wave.... (White Christmas fans? anyone? c'mon..) Yes, there is a heat wave, with warm sun and highs of 30 but NOT HERE IN KOREA. Yes, it is warm and humid but there is no sun. Do you want to know where the sun has ended up? BELFAST!! Lucky bastards....I wanted a tan by August gosh darnit - I should have stayed with the Guinness. And, it wouldn't have been a day on this blog without some reference to the weather. The weekend was a nice long relaxing one but super panic hit on Monday night and I was ready to get out of the house. I was freaking out yet again about the garbage (what the hell is wrong with me?) and didn't have a great sleep. There is something to be said for cooping yourself up in your house to watch English speaking DVDs for a day. But I think this only stops you from experiencing the culture. I did venture out on Saturday by bus (whoa, crazy bus drivers) to Pusan where the open markets you can barter and get cheap shirts - thanks to my...

It Only Takes One Trip

I have a longer post to write, although it may not be until Monday. I don't want to alarm anyone who may actually know me but for the first time in my 30 years I have broken a bone. Nothing exciting, just slipped and fell outside the Family Mart and cracked my foot. What we thought was a sprain turned out to be a break and now, half cast and all, I'm the hob-along-teacher, bossing children all over the place to carry my books and get me water. If I knew the royal treatment I would get, I would have broken my foot months ago. Mother Ship and family posse - never fear. Will talk to you tomorrow.