Skip to main content

Reasons Why Bridget Jones is a REAL Love Story

1. Because the movie men don't cover up her zits.

2. Because yes, she does show her stomach 'pudge' which we all have and all try and hide and pretend not to have because in most movies the heroine DOES NOT HAVE PUDGE.

3. Because she makes the same mistakes I do - ladies, who hasn't been running late and put make up on in the car?

4. Because I can't stop getting giddy every time dreamy Darcy or dirty Dan says something romantic to frumpy Bridget

5. Because I love that she also has trouble picking outfits, not of which actually look like a designer.

6. Because in the end, with all her faults, she still gets her man.

**********

In honour of love, I got some fantastic news the other day.

A very special congrats to another truly wonderful person, my highschool-Bark-Lake-student-council-cottage friend TLO and her dreamy boy K who got engaged over the weekend on the beach at sunset.

When I was in highschool, I had this running joke where I said I had no tear ducts because I never cried. TLO however was like Niagara Falls.

At camp one year, at our closing ceremonies, we decided our group would get everyone to sing "That's What Friends Are For". I was to stand up with TLO as she knew all the words and well, I was sure I would not shed a drop.

Now, I cry at the drop of the hat. Commercials. TV shows. Kids sayings. Romantic gestures. Clean laundry. A pile of ironed clothes.

It was her fault, then, that the flood gates were opened because when we stood up to sing, it was me who burst into tears and her that held it together.

TLO has always held it together. You can always count on her with a gentle hug, a kind word, a thoughtful phone call. And she always let you know how special you are to her. I frequently get complimentary emails, which make me beam across the big pond.

If there was anyone more deserving of happiness, it is TLO and her K. My heart smiles thinking of them and their big day.

I am going to do my best to make it to this one. Tear ducts and all.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Hi Travelling Chick,

As a result of reading your blog "Reasons Why Bridget Jones is a REAL Love Story", I think you will discover my site on get rid of acne pimples to be of interest.

Popular posts from this blog

I'm baaaack!

Hard to believe that last entry was almost three years ago! Many moons ago, I set this blog up to chronicle our journeys. Once we were grounded a bit more, it kind of lost its way. I spent some time working on my writing offline, taking on different projects and working full time as a technical writer. It was difficult to keep this blog up. Not for any real reason I can articulate. Just had my words redirected to other avenues for awhile. But, I'm pleased to say, after over a decade away, we are back in the UK, living and re-experiencing a place we enjoyed in the mid-2000s. Social media has certainly changed the way we look at blogs. I'm excited to navigate this new world, explore just what people post, what people read. What's better on one of the many new platforms and what's still appropriate for good old fashioned blogosphere. For now, here's a peek at where we're staying -- in a pretty little village just outside of Oxford. A temporary home ...

They Started a Heat Wave

(sing) a tropical heat wave.... (White Christmas fans? anyone? c'mon..) Yes, there is a heat wave, with warm sun and highs of 30 but NOT HERE IN KOREA. Yes, it is warm and humid but there is no sun. Do you want to know where the sun has ended up? BELFAST!! Lucky bastards....I wanted a tan by August gosh darnit - I should have stayed with the Guinness. And, it wouldn't have been a day on this blog without some reference to the weather. The weekend was a nice long relaxing one but super panic hit on Monday night and I was ready to get out of the house. I was freaking out yet again about the garbage (what the hell is wrong with me?) and didn't have a great sleep. There is something to be said for cooping yourself up in your house to watch English speaking DVDs for a day. But I think this only stops you from experiencing the culture. I did venture out on Saturday by bus (whoa, crazy bus drivers) to Pusan where the open markets you can barter and get cheap shirts - thanks to my...

It Only Takes One Trip

I have a longer post to write, although it may not be until Monday. I don't want to alarm anyone who may actually know me but for the first time in my 30 years I have broken a bone. Nothing exciting, just slipped and fell outside the Family Mart and cracked my foot. What we thought was a sprain turned out to be a break and now, half cast and all, I'm the hob-along-teacher, bossing children all over the place to carry my books and get me water. If I knew the royal treatment I would get, I would have broken my foot months ago. Mother Ship and family posse - never fear. Will talk to you tomorrow.