Skip to main content

Marching to their own Drums

Yesterday was the very North American holiday, Hallowe'en.

I never realised it was so NORTH AMERICAN until I travel abroad and realised no one else really celebrates like we do.

Perhaps it is our self confidence in our beliefs that allows us not to be superstitious about ghosts and goblins. Or perhaps it's just another reason to spend money, including that every commerical savy Hallmark card.

At work over this past couple of weeks, I was getting the old 'oh ya, is't Hallowe'en' and then this knowing nod from the person that I have learned to understand means:

'I am simply placating your American sized ego but really think you are most ridiculous and juvenile for partaking in such a trival holiday'

I realise that I am not American but it seems anyone that comes from a continent that is not Europe or Asia is American and therefore, I have given up adding the NORTH bit every time someone mentions those AMERICAN ways. Please people, you must choose your battles.

The holiday did sort of come and go without much excitement. For some reason, trick or treating has not caught on here. Drunken parties dressed up as Elvis? Well, really, I'm sure that caught on in about 6 seconds and yes I did see some interesting characters when I was out on Saturday night.

But the whole buying loads of sweets to hand out to little goblins or witches or harry potters is not a 'thing' they do.

However, celebrating the holiday is starting to catch on in Belfast. And I'm all for supporting a culture that's 'learning' about our CRAZY OUT OF THIS WORLD American holidays.

But I had to put my foot down when a lady a work told me she had trick or treaters on SATURDAY NIGHT. WHAT?? DID I HEAR THAT RIGHT??

SATURDAY NIGHT??? OCTOBER 29???

Kudos to the parents who gave up their Saturday to go door to door but uh HELLO ?@?? If you're going to partake, you MUST do it right.

Hallowe'een is OCOTBER 31. Not the Saturday before. Not the Saturday after. Not when-ever-my-keen-parent-ass-feels-like-it. OCTOBER 31.

Can I tell you what would have greeted any cute little ghost that appeared at my door on Saturday night?

The same thing that appeared at my new neighbour's door Sunday morning when, in her own words, she thought the drilling at 9 AM ON SUNDAY MORNING was started at a reasonable hour.

A grumpy, tired, half asleep, angry banchee in her pjs.

Except of course on Saturday, I was probably drunk.

People of Belfast: Embrace the holiday, don't change it.

Comments

Chris Voidis said…
Hello there my fellow Canadian expat-writing-a-novel-overseas! How are things? Here in Greece, (where after 8 years I'm still trying to write a novel), we celebrate dressing up in February, and it's done over three weeks on Saturdays and Sundays. Only difference is that there's no trick or treating, but on the last Sunday, the adults (they dress up too), get treated to free drinks at all the restaraunts and bars...

See ya!

Popular posts from this blog

I'm baaaack!

Hard to believe that last entry was almost three years ago! Many moons ago, I set this blog up to chronicle our journeys. Once we were grounded a bit more, it kind of lost its way. I spent some time working on my writing offline, taking on different projects and working full time as a technical writer. It was difficult to keep this blog up. Not for any real reason I can articulate. Just had my words redirected to other avenues for awhile. But, I'm pleased to say, after over a decade away, we are back in the UK, living and re-experiencing a place we enjoyed in the mid-2000s. Social media has certainly changed the way we look at blogs. I'm excited to navigate this new world, explore just what people post, what people read. What's better on one of the many new platforms and what's still appropriate for good old fashioned blogosphere. For now, here's a peek at where we're staying -- in a pretty little village just outside of Oxford. A temporary home ...

They Started a Heat Wave

(sing) a tropical heat wave.... (White Christmas fans? anyone? c'mon..) Yes, there is a heat wave, with warm sun and highs of 30 but NOT HERE IN KOREA. Yes, it is warm and humid but there is no sun. Do you want to know where the sun has ended up? BELFAST!! Lucky bastards....I wanted a tan by August gosh darnit - I should have stayed with the Guinness. And, it wouldn't have been a day on this blog without some reference to the weather. The weekend was a nice long relaxing one but super panic hit on Monday night and I was ready to get out of the house. I was freaking out yet again about the garbage (what the hell is wrong with me?) and didn't have a great sleep. There is something to be said for cooping yourself up in your house to watch English speaking DVDs for a day. But I think this only stops you from experiencing the culture. I did venture out on Saturday by bus (whoa, crazy bus drivers) to Pusan where the open markets you can barter and get cheap shirts - thanks to my...

It Only Takes One Trip

I have a longer post to write, although it may not be until Monday. I don't want to alarm anyone who may actually know me but for the first time in my 30 years I have broken a bone. Nothing exciting, just slipped and fell outside the Family Mart and cracked my foot. What we thought was a sprain turned out to be a break and now, half cast and all, I'm the hob-along-teacher, bossing children all over the place to carry my books and get me water. If I knew the royal treatment I would get, I would have broken my foot months ago. Mother Ship and family posse - never fear. Will talk to you tomorrow.