Skip to main content

Jumping Off a bit of a Cliff

We have been so busy at work that I am finding it hard to find room in my brain to actually process that in 3 weeks time, I will probably be on my way or almost on my way to S. Korea.

I'm a very last minute type person. I feel emotions at the last minute. I deal with situations at the last minute. I finish all assignments at the last minute. I suppose this is called procrastination and I'm certain I've written a blog about that.

I'm certain that I will suddenly realise at the last minute that the plane I'm getting on will be taking me to a place where I don't know the language, I don't know anyway (minus our friend A who got us the job) and I have NEVER TAUGHT ENGLISH BEFORE.

There are a few things causing anxiety:

I have a place to live and a job. This sounds strange I know. And it should make it easier. Suddenly we don't have to worry about finding those things.

But I don't really have the freedom to up and leave if it's not working. No one is tied to anything but I'm not really a quitter (smoking habit case in point) so I can't see myself go through all the effort to start it and then not finish it.

D's last day at work is Friday so it will begin to sink in a bit more. We are still waiting on our visas, which I can only describe as an excrutiatingly tense experience, having given up our homes and jobs without visas or a return flight.

When I say out loud that we're going, the next question for the curious person is 'when is your flight?' My answer is: We dont have one yet.

I feel funny when people ask us questions about it because we don't really have many answers and for the first time, I don't really care. Okay, well I'm trying not to care.

It's not really all figured out and I'm sure that it won't be until my feet are planted in S.Korea.

I suppose in my heart of heart I knew that it was time for us to leave anyway, regardless if this thing all goes 'pear shaped' and we end up not there.

My back up plan is Greece. I keep telling people to keep it light and friendly but you can hear in the voice that they think you're a bit crazy when you don't have a flight somewhere you're telling people that you're going to.

We have European passports, which means we can work anywhere in Europe. So what is the worst case scenario if it all falls through?

The world become our oyster, all over again.

I'm trying very hard to take a different approach to this one. Many times I've stressed and worried about all the details about a place before moving abroad and in the end, the stress seemed futile. It didn't create anything good at the time and was forgotten the minute we arrived.

These are the thoughts for the minute.

Ask me on my last day and you might find I've chained myself to my desk.

Comments

DebbieFoster said…
ABBEY!!!! Oh my goodness, I have just spend hours reading about your travels. You have kept me laughing the whole time! I am so excited for you, and so happy Lynda from G&G told me about your blog. I will be an avid reader, living vicariously through you...as I am sure so many are. Safe travels! Hugs - Debbie Foster
Wow!!! a blast from the past!!! you still sound as fun and fantastic as you always were Debbie - great to have you along for the ride!:) Hope life is going great for you...will have to get an update from Lynda and will get your email too...thanks for your kind words and reading!:)

Popular posts from this blog

I'm baaaack!

Hard to believe that last entry was almost three years ago! Many moons ago, I set this blog up to chronicle our journeys. Once we were grounded a bit more, it kind of lost its way. I spent some time working on my writing offline, taking on different projects and working full time as a technical writer. It was difficult to keep this blog up. Not for any real reason I can articulate. Just had my words redirected to other avenues for awhile. But, I'm pleased to say, after over a decade away, we are back in the UK, living and re-experiencing a place we enjoyed in the mid-2000s. Social media has certainly changed the way we look at blogs. I'm excited to navigate this new world, explore just what people post, what people read. What's better on one of the many new platforms and what's still appropriate for good old fashioned blogosphere. For now, here's a peek at where we're staying -- in a pretty little village just outside of Oxford. A temporary home ...

They Started a Heat Wave

(sing) a tropical heat wave.... (White Christmas fans? anyone? c'mon..) Yes, there is a heat wave, with warm sun and highs of 30 but NOT HERE IN KOREA. Yes, it is warm and humid but there is no sun. Do you want to know where the sun has ended up? BELFAST!! Lucky bastards....I wanted a tan by August gosh darnit - I should have stayed with the Guinness. And, it wouldn't have been a day on this blog without some reference to the weather. The weekend was a nice long relaxing one but super panic hit on Monday night and I was ready to get out of the house. I was freaking out yet again about the garbage (what the hell is wrong with me?) and didn't have a great sleep. There is something to be said for cooping yourself up in your house to watch English speaking DVDs for a day. But I think this only stops you from experiencing the culture. I did venture out on Saturday by bus (whoa, crazy bus drivers) to Pusan where the open markets you can barter and get cheap shirts - thanks to my...

It Only Takes One Trip

I have a longer post to write, although it may not be until Monday. I don't want to alarm anyone who may actually know me but for the first time in my 30 years I have broken a bone. Nothing exciting, just slipped and fell outside the Family Mart and cracked my foot. What we thought was a sprain turned out to be a break and now, half cast and all, I'm the hob-along-teacher, bossing children all over the place to carry my books and get me water. If I knew the royal treatment I would get, I would have broken my foot months ago. Mother Ship and family posse - never fear. Will talk to you tomorrow.