Skip to main content

It's all starting to make sense

I am definitely happier when I am amongst the Koreans. I feel out of place when I'm holed up in my apartment and begin to worry unnecessarily. But after my first class yesterday, I just simply felt better.

I am also getting very good at 'pretending to understand', kinda like osmosis in an effort for the words to sink in. If I believe I know what they're talking about, then I do.

Due to the monsoon - yes, only here a week and I have lived through one. Lots of rain and wind. Kinda like a hurricane. But because we are so far inland, I don't think it ended up causing that much damage. Okay, ya, so I'm not really sure what happened around the whole country but we just had lots of rain that pooled up so high some streets were flooded. Doesn't really much matter if you don't have a car does it?

Anyway...due to the monsoon, our afternoon classes were cancelled. We left the school early to do some shopping at the Home Plus which is owned by Tesco and kinda reminds me of home except for the fact I can't read anything or understand what the people are saying. So, ya, mostly the same.

We decided to stop at McDonalds - when we travelled Europe D would have cut off his right arm before buying anything from McDonalds - I think even he was wanting a bit of comfort food.

The girl didn't speak English. As I've pointed out, we don't speak Korean (yet). The sign language got us 'two number two meals' but then we were on our own. She said something that seemed like 'what would you like to drink with that?' and so I said 'Cola'. It was the right answer. First mini success.

D wanted water so that was a bit confusing but in the end we managed.

Then came another sentence, which I'm sure meant 'For here or to go'. I made the 'for here' motions with my hands and she nodded in understanding. Second mini success.

She then launched into a sentence - which I then took to mean, 'Your fries will be anothEr 5 minutes, please have a seat and I'll bring your food to you'. Smiling, I said kamsa-hamneeda (an important one to know as it means THANK YOU) and sat down.

Mission accomplished.

This was not the only success of the evening. We ended up stumbling upon a DVD rental place. Nothing is more relaxing then watching TV on my weeknights now so we went in and thought we'd try our luck. Lucky for us, the movies are not dubbed in Korean, only subtitled and hey, this is an opportunity for us to learn the lauguage. Listen in English - read in Korean.

We got to the counter and the woman smiled and made a hand gesture that we assumed was asking us for our membership card. I made an X with my hands and she proceeded to ask our name. I looked at D - Big A must of had a membership here.

'Big A Last Name', I said and up it came. She wanted our telephone number, which I have written down and then she asked us for the equvialent of a Canadian dollar.

Smiling, she said what we assumed meant 'This is due back tomorrow' and we confirmed this but nodding and saying 'tomorrow?' She smiled and with Mr. and Mrs. Smith, we were on our way.

This can be done. I can do this. I just need to remember to be patient. Ms Communication may have to be slightly in-communicado with the rest of her world for a while.

Maybe that will teach me to shut up once in awhile.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I'm baaaack!

Hard to believe that last entry was almost three years ago! Many moons ago, I set this blog up to chronicle our journeys. Once we were grounded a bit more, it kind of lost its way. I spent some time working on my writing offline, taking on different projects and working full time as a technical writer. It was difficult to keep this blog up. Not for any real reason I can articulate. Just had my words redirected to other avenues for awhile. But, I'm pleased to say, after over a decade away, we are back in the UK, living and re-experiencing a place we enjoyed in the mid-2000s. Social media has certainly changed the way we look at blogs. I'm excited to navigate this new world, explore just what people post, what people read. What's better on one of the many new platforms and what's still appropriate for good old fashioned blogosphere. For now, here's a peek at where we're staying -- in a pretty little village just outside of Oxford. A temporary home ...

They Started a Heat Wave

(sing) a tropical heat wave.... (White Christmas fans? anyone? c'mon..) Yes, there is a heat wave, with warm sun and highs of 30 but NOT HERE IN KOREA. Yes, it is warm and humid but there is no sun. Do you want to know where the sun has ended up? BELFAST!! Lucky bastards....I wanted a tan by August gosh darnit - I should have stayed with the Guinness. And, it wouldn't have been a day on this blog without some reference to the weather. The weekend was a nice long relaxing one but super panic hit on Monday night and I was ready to get out of the house. I was freaking out yet again about the garbage (what the hell is wrong with me?) and didn't have a great sleep. There is something to be said for cooping yourself up in your house to watch English speaking DVDs for a day. But I think this only stops you from experiencing the culture. I did venture out on Saturday by bus (whoa, crazy bus drivers) to Pusan where the open markets you can barter and get cheap shirts - thanks to my...

It Only Takes One Trip

I have a longer post to write, although it may not be until Monday. I don't want to alarm anyone who may actually know me but for the first time in my 30 years I have broken a bone. Nothing exciting, just slipped and fell outside the Family Mart and cracked my foot. What we thought was a sprain turned out to be a break and now, half cast and all, I'm the hob-along-teacher, bossing children all over the place to carry my books and get me water. If I knew the royal treatment I would get, I would have broken my foot months ago. Mother Ship and family posse - never fear. Will talk to you tomorrow.