Skip to main content

Soju on the Street

Seoul has turned out to be the vacation we needed.

Our hostel is quietly located, smack dab in the middle of the fashion district, Bangan Market. As we walk to the subway each morning, we have the choice of paint thinner or floor tile to purchase. And we certainly don:t have any trouble sleeping in AC rooms - or should I say mini fridges.

We have been proper tourists.

Bus tour. Check.

Palace tour. Check.

Visit to reconstruction of ancient village with tacky tourist shop paraphanilla.Check.

Eating local street meat that was more like a fair than the streets of Asia - think Pogo Stick with french fries deep fried around it. Check.

Soju on the street. Double Check.

Soju is a popular drink among the Koreans. You can shoot it or sip it and depending on the mood, I do either. It tastes a bit like Vodka and Zambuca put together. And goes down great with spicy food like Kimchi.

There is no real way to describe the street our hostel is on other than your typcial Asian market street. Tiny alley way with lots of vertical signs in Korean. About 90 percent of the shops are in the market and are fabric or home DIY related.

Except for one little variety store. With plastic chairs outside. And two plastic tables.

This shop sells chips and tea and beer and soju.

After a much needed dinner at a Mexican restaurant (okay, YAY for Itaweon in Seoul which is basically Western Central. I love Korean food, but what a treat. The Outback on Tuesday. Burritos on Wednesday. Sa-weet) we headed home "early" to get a head start on Thursday at the War Memorial Museum.

Two minutes from home and we pulled up chairs at the little conveinces shop for a few beers and a bottle of soju. 4 beers and 4 bottles of soju later, we were experiencing the surreal world of "drinking with Koreans".

The owner, his wife and some random fabric guy sat across from us at the other plastic table, conversing with us in Korean as J tried (quite successfully) to translate.

We also ate her HOMEMADE kimchi. Wow. Another great think about soju is it takes the edge off the spice. See, another reason to drink.

Anywhere else in the world, this was a dark alley. Here in Korea, it is where they hang out.

We stumbled away after spending what was probably a good fortune for the store and with an atmosphere you couldn:t believe unless you saw it yourself. Or you watched too many Kung Foo movies.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Hey Ab, Mother Ship (MS) here. Hmmm..... stumbling home from Soju on the street eh? Is Soju the new Champagne? Eeedy, Eeedy.

Luv
MS
No, champagne is still the champagne. Soju is a bit more G&T for me...:)

Popular posts from this blog

I'm baaaack!

Hard to believe that last entry was almost three years ago! Many moons ago, I set this blog up to chronicle our journeys. Once we were grounded a bit more, it kind of lost its way. I spent some time working on my writing offline, taking on different projects and working full time as a technical writer. It was difficult to keep this blog up. Not for any real reason I can articulate. Just had my words redirected to other avenues for awhile. But, I'm pleased to say, after over a decade away, we are back in the UK, living and re-experiencing a place we enjoyed in the mid-2000s. Social media has certainly changed the way we look at blogs. I'm excited to navigate this new world, explore just what people post, what people read. What's better on one of the many new platforms and what's still appropriate for good old fashioned blogosphere. For now, here's a peek at where we're staying -- in a pretty little village just outside of Oxford. A temporary home ...

They Started a Heat Wave

(sing) a tropical heat wave.... (White Christmas fans? anyone? c'mon..) Yes, there is a heat wave, with warm sun and highs of 30 but NOT HERE IN KOREA. Yes, it is warm and humid but there is no sun. Do you want to know where the sun has ended up? BELFAST!! Lucky bastards....I wanted a tan by August gosh darnit - I should have stayed with the Guinness. And, it wouldn't have been a day on this blog without some reference to the weather. The weekend was a nice long relaxing one but super panic hit on Monday night and I was ready to get out of the house. I was freaking out yet again about the garbage (what the hell is wrong with me?) and didn't have a great sleep. There is something to be said for cooping yourself up in your house to watch English speaking DVDs for a day. But I think this only stops you from experiencing the culture. I did venture out on Saturday by bus (whoa, crazy bus drivers) to Pusan where the open markets you can barter and get cheap shirts - thanks to my...

It Only Takes One Trip

I have a longer post to write, although it may not be until Monday. I don't want to alarm anyone who may actually know me but for the first time in my 30 years I have broken a bone. Nothing exciting, just slipped and fell outside the Family Mart and cracked my foot. What we thought was a sprain turned out to be a break and now, half cast and all, I'm the hob-along-teacher, bossing children all over the place to carry my books and get me water. If I knew the royal treatment I would get, I would have broken my foot months ago. Mother Ship and family posse - never fear. Will talk to you tomorrow.