Skip to main content

Silence

I feel a bit sheepish about the fact that there has not been that much written in this space over the last little while.

As a person who is constantly nattering on about current plans, future plans, even past plans, I feel a bit strange not having put something here.

And it's not just on virtual paper. I can count on my fingers the number of people I've actually spoken to in the last week.

I suppose this is a semi-apology for those I've not yet gotten in touch with - and also those who may not realise we were home.

I did have visions of writing about our last night in England and then our first day back in Canada, but the thing is, it's all a bit stranger than expected.

In a TOTALLY good way. But strange all the same.

I'm still processing the past 18 months - a year in Korea, 6 months on the road. And I guess, finding it all a bit too much to really communicate about.

Which is why I haven't written. Or emailed. Or called.

So, I'm sorry, I wasn't expecting to feel this hermity. I'm really excited to see you all.

It's just, there seems to be so many decisions that need to be made and we haven't even been here a week.

I suppose this is what they call reverse culture shock. When you're finding yourself assimlated back into the world you've always known. So, I'm just gonna ride this wave like I have all the others.

I have had some pretty heartwarming experiences in the past couple of days - spending time with D's nephew and nieces, spending 2 wonderful days with my little nephew Marshmellow.

I'm savouring those and looking forward to more with all the other little people who have arrived since I've been gone.

Bear with me. I'll speak to you soon.

And let me just say this: Being back on Canadian soil? IT IS just as good as I'd hoped it would be.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I'm baaaack!

Hard to believe that last entry was almost three years ago! Many moons ago, I set this blog up to chronicle our journeys. Once we were grounded a bit more, it kind of lost its way. I spent some time working on my writing offline, taking on different projects and working full time as a technical writer. It was difficult to keep this blog up. Not for any real reason I can articulate. Just had my words redirected to other avenues for awhile. But, I'm pleased to say, after over a decade away, we are back in the UK, living and re-experiencing a place we enjoyed in the mid-2000s. Social media has certainly changed the way we look at blogs. I'm excited to navigate this new world, explore just what people post, what people read. What's better on one of the many new platforms and what's still appropriate for good old fashioned blogosphere. For now, here's a peek at where we're staying -- in a pretty little village just outside of Oxford. A temporary home ...

They Started a Heat Wave

(sing) a tropical heat wave.... (White Christmas fans? anyone? c'mon..) Yes, there is a heat wave, with warm sun and highs of 30 but NOT HERE IN KOREA. Yes, it is warm and humid but there is no sun. Do you want to know where the sun has ended up? BELFAST!! Lucky bastards....I wanted a tan by August gosh darnit - I should have stayed with the Guinness. And, it wouldn't have been a day on this blog without some reference to the weather. The weekend was a nice long relaxing one but super panic hit on Monday night and I was ready to get out of the house. I was freaking out yet again about the garbage (what the hell is wrong with me?) and didn't have a great sleep. There is something to be said for cooping yourself up in your house to watch English speaking DVDs for a day. But I think this only stops you from experiencing the culture. I did venture out on Saturday by bus (whoa, crazy bus drivers) to Pusan where the open markets you can barter and get cheap shirts - thanks to my...

It Only Takes One Trip

I have a longer post to write, although it may not be until Monday. I don't want to alarm anyone who may actually know me but for the first time in my 30 years I have broken a bone. Nothing exciting, just slipped and fell outside the Family Mart and cracked my foot. What we thought was a sprain turned out to be a break and now, half cast and all, I'm the hob-along-teacher, bossing children all over the place to carry my books and get me water. If I knew the royal treatment I would get, I would have broken my foot months ago. Mother Ship and family posse - never fear. Will talk to you tomorrow.