Skip to main content

Two for Tea and Tea for Two

I've had a fairly long love affair with tea. I think it may have reached the same length of time as my love affair with coffee. But I had to part with the black stuff long ago. My nose says yes but my stomach says no.

My love of tea great exponentially when I moved to the UK. I mean, come on people, in the Western world, they are THE QUEEN of tea. Just ask their Queen. I know she's having tea all the time.

When I moved to Asia, it became greater on a whole other level. I mean, I had read about the benefits of green tea - that it can help reduce your risk of cancer by 70%!!!! - and had dabbled a little bit in the green stuff before I arrived.

But South Korea had green tea by the plentiful. Hot green tea. Cold green tea. Instant green tea. It became my companion at work, at home and more importantly, in the sauna. While I sweat out all the junk I was consuming, the green tea was there with me, offering a refreshing coolness as well as a detoxifyer. The relationship just kept growing stronger.

So, can you imagine, when we were in China, when I discovered they do green tea on a WHOLE NEW LEVEL??

While visiting the picturesque Hangzhou, I discovered that it was also home to China's Tea Museum.



HangZhou is famous for the production of the well known Longjing, see in my picture above.

And this place was not just a stuffy old building with exhibits. They actually housed a school, and about 10 different tea rooms. But the best part? The tea plantations.




I was on my own, but in my element. It was like visiting your favorite winery.



I learned some valuable lessons about tea when I was there, specifically that there is a special way to boil the water and brew your tea.

You're not meant to "burn the water" by over boiling it, just bring it to a nice small bubbles boil.

You're meant to fill the glass 20% full and leave for 30 seconds to stew. Then you fill up the rest of the glass up to 70%. The 30% that's missing? Well, that's where you store all the love and care you've put into making this tea for your guest. Or yourself.

I make tea now numerous times a day. And I can't seem to make it the old way anymore. But every time I make some tea, it brings me back to my day in the fields.

Keeps me travelling every day, that tea does.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I'm baaaack!

Hard to believe that last entry was almost three years ago! Many moons ago, I set this blog up to chronicle our journeys. Once we were grounded a bit more, it kind of lost its way. I spent some time working on my writing offline, taking on different projects and working full time as a technical writer. It was difficult to keep this blog up. Not for any real reason I can articulate. Just had my words redirected to other avenues for awhile. But, I'm pleased to say, after over a decade away, we are back in the UK, living and re-experiencing a place we enjoyed in the mid-2000s. Social media has certainly changed the way we look at blogs. I'm excited to navigate this new world, explore just what people post, what people read. What's better on one of the many new platforms and what's still appropriate for good old fashioned blogosphere. For now, here's a peek at where we're staying -- in a pretty little village just outside of Oxford. A temporary home ...

They Started a Heat Wave

(sing) a tropical heat wave.... (White Christmas fans? anyone? c'mon..) Yes, there is a heat wave, with warm sun and highs of 30 but NOT HERE IN KOREA. Yes, it is warm and humid but there is no sun. Do you want to know where the sun has ended up? BELFAST!! Lucky bastards....I wanted a tan by August gosh darnit - I should have stayed with the Guinness. And, it wouldn't have been a day on this blog without some reference to the weather. The weekend was a nice long relaxing one but super panic hit on Monday night and I was ready to get out of the house. I was freaking out yet again about the garbage (what the hell is wrong with me?) and didn't have a great sleep. There is something to be said for cooping yourself up in your house to watch English speaking DVDs for a day. But I think this only stops you from experiencing the culture. I did venture out on Saturday by bus (whoa, crazy bus drivers) to Pusan where the open markets you can barter and get cheap shirts - thanks to my...

It Only Takes One Trip

I have a longer post to write, although it may not be until Monday. I don't want to alarm anyone who may actually know me but for the first time in my 30 years I have broken a bone. Nothing exciting, just slipped and fell outside the Family Mart and cracked my foot. What we thought was a sprain turned out to be a break and now, half cast and all, I'm the hob-along-teacher, bossing children all over the place to carry my books and get me water. If I knew the royal treatment I would get, I would have broken my foot months ago. Mother Ship and family posse - never fear. Will talk to you tomorrow.