Skip to main content

Holidays


This is my favourite time of year. Whether I'm with family or connecting with people via Skype, I always find it the most relaxing and rejuvenating time of year.

For me, the summer is about busy-ness. It's about being outside, getting into nature, jumping on my bike and riding around some of the beauty that BC has to offer. It's about spending time on patios, alternating between mornings on the beach and evenings watching the sunset. It's about finding amazing things to do, adventures to go on, islands to visit, festivals to enjoy.

But this time of year provides the most quiet solace for me. Probably because we aren't always near loved ones, which means this time of year ends up being filled with late mornings, lounging pj time and junkfood-filled days.

As I type, I can see various runners trek past the window along the dyke, diligently adhering to their holiday fitness schedules. And, since I do have another half marathon (Dasani Half Marathon) in about 6 weeks, I probably should be doing the same.

But instead, I'm catching up online. And playing with my new Kobo Touch. And just, laying around. Literally planning my day around meals. Watching the hours tick away and content in the fact that I don't care. That I know my body must need this. That, even though there are tons of things I "could" be doing or "should" be doing, I'm not. And that's ok.

Because life's not about coulda's or woulda's or shoulda's. It just is.

Doing nothing will help me find the energy to start doing more in the new year. So I'll take it. And relish it. And continue to enjoy chips for breakfast and early afternoon tipples. I suggest you do the same. Here's to hibernating for a bit to re-energize us for the year to come.

Happy Holidays, fellow sloths.

Comments

Yesssssssssss! Here, here, to your blog post! I couldn't agree with you more, lap it up! So nice to see a post up from you as well. Happy Holidays Abbey. Best Wishes from SK.
awww thanks for your kind words about my blog and the holiday wishes!!! geesh I REALLY need to check this more often and also, maybe give myself some alerts to comments! LOL .. hugs ..xx

Popular posts from this blog

I'm baaaack!

Hard to believe that last entry was almost three years ago! Many moons ago, I set this blog up to chronicle our journeys. Once we were grounded a bit more, it kind of lost its way. I spent some time working on my writing offline, taking on different projects and working full time as a technical writer. It was difficult to keep this blog up. Not for any real reason I can articulate. Just had my words redirected to other avenues for awhile. But, I'm pleased to say, after over a decade away, we are back in the UK, living and re-experiencing a place we enjoyed in the mid-2000s. Social media has certainly changed the way we look at blogs. I'm excited to navigate this new world, explore just what people post, what people read. What's better on one of the many new platforms and what's still appropriate for good old fashioned blogosphere. For now, here's a peek at where we're staying -- in a pretty little village just outside of Oxford. A temporary home ...

They Started a Heat Wave

(sing) a tropical heat wave.... (White Christmas fans? anyone? c'mon..) Yes, there is a heat wave, with warm sun and highs of 30 but NOT HERE IN KOREA. Yes, it is warm and humid but there is no sun. Do you want to know where the sun has ended up? BELFAST!! Lucky bastards....I wanted a tan by August gosh darnit - I should have stayed with the Guinness. And, it wouldn't have been a day on this blog without some reference to the weather. The weekend was a nice long relaxing one but super panic hit on Monday night and I was ready to get out of the house. I was freaking out yet again about the garbage (what the hell is wrong with me?) and didn't have a great sleep. There is something to be said for cooping yourself up in your house to watch English speaking DVDs for a day. But I think this only stops you from experiencing the culture. I did venture out on Saturday by bus (whoa, crazy bus drivers) to Pusan where the open markets you can barter and get cheap shirts - thanks to my...

It Only Takes One Trip

I have a longer post to write, although it may not be until Monday. I don't want to alarm anyone who may actually know me but for the first time in my 30 years I have broken a bone. Nothing exciting, just slipped and fell outside the Family Mart and cracked my foot. What we thought was a sprain turned out to be a break and now, half cast and all, I'm the hob-along-teacher, bossing children all over the place to carry my books and get me water. If I knew the royal treatment I would get, I would have broken my foot months ago. Mother Ship and family posse - never fear. Will talk to you tomorrow.