Skip to main content
And so it is done.

I am no longer employed. I'm a full time world traveller. It's great to be alive.

Here was the message I sent to my former colleagues:

I want to thank you all for making my job here at Gavel & Gown that much more rewarding. While I am very excited about my adventures, I will miss the people who make it so special to work here.

As I go, I wanted to pass along a message to all of you:


Tucked away in our subconscious is an idyllic vision. We see ourselves on a
long trip that spans the continent. We are traveling by train. Out the
window we drink the passing scene of cars on nearby highways, of children
waving at a crossing, of cattle grazing on a distant hillside, of smoke
pouring from a power plant, of row upon row of corn and wheat, of flatlands
and valleys, of mountains and rolling hillsides, of city skylines and
village halls. But uppermost in our minds is the final destination. On a
certain day at a certain hour, we will pull into the station. Once we get
there, so many wonderful dreams will come true and the pieces of our lives
will fit together like a completed jigsaw puzzle. How restlessly we pace the
aisles, damning the minutes for loitering - waiting, waiting, waiting for
the station. "When we reach the station, that will be it!" we cry. "When I'm
18." "When I buy a new Mercedes Benz!" "When I put the last kid through
college." When the stock hits $30." When I reach the age of retirement, I
shall live happily ever after!"

Like Robert Hastings I have grown to appreciate that sooner or later, we
must realize there is no station, no one place to arrive at, once and for
all. The joy of life is the trip. The station is only a dream. It constantly
outdistances us.

It isn't the burdens of today that drive men mad. It is the regrets over
yesterday and the fear of tomorrow. Regret and fear are twin thieves who rob
us of today. So I have decided to stop pacing the aisles and counting the
miles..... The station will come soon enough



Good luck and keep in touch,


Okay, I ripped it off - someone else already wrote this. If I knew who, I would give credit but I just thought it was amazing.

In fact, if it's you and you want credit - get in touch.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I'm baaaack!

Hard to believe that last entry was almost three years ago! Many moons ago, I set this blog up to chronicle our journeys. Once we were grounded a bit more, it kind of lost its way. I spent some time working on my writing offline, taking on different projects and working full time as a technical writer. It was difficult to keep this blog up. Not for any real reason I can articulate. Just had my words redirected to other avenues for awhile. But, I'm pleased to say, after over a decade away, we are back in the UK, living and re-experiencing a place we enjoyed in the mid-2000s. Social media has certainly changed the way we look at blogs. I'm excited to navigate this new world, explore just what people post, what people read. What's better on one of the many new platforms and what's still appropriate for good old fashioned blogosphere. For now, here's a peek at where we're staying -- in a pretty little village just outside of Oxford. A temporary home ...

They Started a Heat Wave

(sing) a tropical heat wave.... (White Christmas fans? anyone? c'mon..) Yes, there is a heat wave, with warm sun and highs of 30 but NOT HERE IN KOREA. Yes, it is warm and humid but there is no sun. Do you want to know where the sun has ended up? BELFAST!! Lucky bastards....I wanted a tan by August gosh darnit - I should have stayed with the Guinness. And, it wouldn't have been a day on this blog without some reference to the weather. The weekend was a nice long relaxing one but super panic hit on Monday night and I was ready to get out of the house. I was freaking out yet again about the garbage (what the hell is wrong with me?) and didn't have a great sleep. There is something to be said for cooping yourself up in your house to watch English speaking DVDs for a day. But I think this only stops you from experiencing the culture. I did venture out on Saturday by bus (whoa, crazy bus drivers) to Pusan where the open markets you can barter and get cheap shirts - thanks to my...

It Only Takes One Trip

I have a longer post to write, although it may not be until Monday. I don't want to alarm anyone who may actually know me but for the first time in my 30 years I have broken a bone. Nothing exciting, just slipped and fell outside the Family Mart and cracked my foot. What we thought was a sprain turned out to be a break and now, half cast and all, I'm the hob-along-teacher, bossing children all over the place to carry my books and get me water. If I knew the royal treatment I would get, I would have broken my foot months ago. Mother Ship and family posse - never fear. Will talk to you tomorrow.