Skip to main content

Just Do It, As Nike Says

Since back on my feet, from breaking my foot, I have been mainly focussed on getting my foot back into running shape.

Many of you who know me will know I have turned into, over the past 5 years, one of those people who is addicted to the gym. Not addicted in the 'oh my god, I have to get that new outfit, so I can show it off to the new cute towel boy' but addicted in the REAL sense. That it is like a drug I cannot do without.

I would be called what I would consider 'hormonally challenged' although, since I'm pretty sure 51.2% of the world's population probably is (are ya with me women?) I suppose that's not really that challenging.

Since I began regularly excercising when we moved to Belfast in 2004, I just suddenly always felt better.

In the past, there were certain times of the month when I would simply have to just deal with the 'oh-look-at-that-milk-commercial-I'm-going-to-cry' and the 'I am so ANGRY THAT YOU HAVE PUT THE FORK AND KNIFE ON THE SAME SIDE OF MY PLATE YOU MORON!!!!'.

There was also the anxiety, the worry-about-everything, the not-sleeping, the I-feel-like-a-martian-among-these-people.

It was all part of the ebbs and flows of a 'woman's journey' and I suppose I just go used to it and carried on.

But then something strange happened. I began sweating my ass off in the gym and suddenly, I was not irrational and weepy during certain times, I was just me. The me you would find during the not-so-mood-swing weeks.

And it was great. And then I forgot what it was like to be a hormonal doofus. Until of course, I broke my foot and stopped exercising.

As if living in a foreign country wasn't challenging enough, I had to re-learn how to put up with the old-anxious-ridden-tear-jerky me. And so did D. And I suppose new people I met just assumed that's the person I had always been.

Well, not anymore.

After a good chat with D about when I should head back to the gym (my foot still aches most of the time, which leads me to believe the muscles are STILL learning how to work and you know my patience...)

I thought I would wait until after my sister's wedding - off to Chicago a week today and really looking forward to it - but D made the point that if I thought it was really important for my mental well being, why didn't I just go first thing Monday?

Okay, it was Tuesday night but I tell you, I had a better sleep last night, I felt more productive in the house, at school and just generally great. My foot even hurts less today then it has over the past few weeks I've been babying it.

It's good to be back people. Real good.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I'm baaaack!

Hard to believe that last entry was almost three years ago! Many moons ago, I set this blog up to chronicle our journeys. Once we were grounded a bit more, it kind of lost its way. I spent some time working on my writing offline, taking on different projects and working full time as a technical writer. It was difficult to keep this blog up. Not for any real reason I can articulate. Just had my words redirected to other avenues for awhile. But, I'm pleased to say, after over a decade away, we are back in the UK, living and re-experiencing a place we enjoyed in the mid-2000s. Social media has certainly changed the way we look at blogs. I'm excited to navigate this new world, explore just what people post, what people read. What's better on one of the many new platforms and what's still appropriate for good old fashioned blogosphere. For now, here's a peek at where we're staying -- in a pretty little village just outside of Oxford. A temporary home ...

They Started a Heat Wave

(sing) a tropical heat wave.... (White Christmas fans? anyone? c'mon..) Yes, there is a heat wave, with warm sun and highs of 30 but NOT HERE IN KOREA. Yes, it is warm and humid but there is no sun. Do you want to know where the sun has ended up? BELFAST!! Lucky bastards....I wanted a tan by August gosh darnit - I should have stayed with the Guinness. And, it wouldn't have been a day on this blog without some reference to the weather. The weekend was a nice long relaxing one but super panic hit on Monday night and I was ready to get out of the house. I was freaking out yet again about the garbage (what the hell is wrong with me?) and didn't have a great sleep. There is something to be said for cooping yourself up in your house to watch English speaking DVDs for a day. But I think this only stops you from experiencing the culture. I did venture out on Saturday by bus (whoa, crazy bus drivers) to Pusan where the open markets you can barter and get cheap shirts - thanks to my...

It Only Takes One Trip

I have a longer post to write, although it may not be until Monday. I don't want to alarm anyone who may actually know me but for the first time in my 30 years I have broken a bone. Nothing exciting, just slipped and fell outside the Family Mart and cracked my foot. What we thought was a sprain turned out to be a break and now, half cast and all, I'm the hob-along-teacher, bossing children all over the place to carry my books and get me water. If I knew the royal treatment I would get, I would have broken my foot months ago. Mother Ship and family posse - never fear. Will talk to you tomorrow.