Skip to main content

Let's Make a Connection

It's rare these days that I'm able to simply communicate with the guy at the grocery store or the shopkeeper selling me ice tea.

And I suppose I've gotten used to being a waegook without words in most situations.

But last night, it just happened. And suddenly, it was like I had always lived here.

I hopped into a taxi after going to the gym (please SPARE ME the 'why-go-to-the-gym-only-to-taxi-home?' routine and YOU talk to my foot after I make it run much longer than it would like. I'm at war with it at the moment and sometimes I have to pick my battles)

So, I say the usual thing I always say when I get into a taxi:

Me: Annyonghaseyo
Taxi: (either) Ne (or) Grunt (or) *blink blink*
Me: **address in the best Korean voice** juseyo (please)
Taxi: (see above)
Me: Kamsahamaneeda

As we're driving, he wants to take a left down a small street to make it faster. Parked, perpendicular to the street is this truck..right..in..the..way. Korean parking combined with the largest population of space cadets on the planet equals DUH this guy has just blocked the road way.

Taxi man starts sighing and tsking and suddenly I felt the need to validate his frustration.

There's a word I know, a word I ONLY know because if the kids call me it, I'm not supposed to let them get away with it. (Most days, my classes can be filled with Korean chatter, most of which I have NO CLUE about and so they try to test me, knowing full well that 'teacher' can be taken advantage of - she doesn't know the language).

The word is babo. I think it means stupid. Or idiot. Or something not very nice but not as evil as any swear word in English.

So I tested it. I threw caution to the wind and just thought, well, he'll either get it or he'll kick me out of the cab.

Me: Babo
Taxi: Jinja babo

And then I laughed. Because jinja happens to be one of the 10 words I know in Korean. It means really. Really stupid/idiot.

And I couldn't stop laughing. Because he got it. And I got it back. And suddenly we were just two people in a cab, shaking our heads at the 'jinja babo' in the city centre.

And as I climbed the stairs to my house, I couldn't help but think, what happens if I finally get comfortable, finally figured this whole Korea thing out, and then it's time to go? What then?

Comments

Anonymous said…
Great post. I can communicate with taxi drivers, but still haven't had the experience where I really feel like I've had a conversation. It's really great that you took the opportunity to try out your extracurricular Korean. I'll remember, the 'babo' too. Given the traffic situation here, it's a word that definitely will come in handy.

Popular posts from this blog

I'm baaaack!

Hard to believe that last entry was almost three years ago! Many moons ago, I set this blog up to chronicle our journeys. Once we were grounded a bit more, it kind of lost its way. I spent some time working on my writing offline, taking on different projects and working full time as a technical writer. It was difficult to keep this blog up. Not for any real reason I can articulate. Just had my words redirected to other avenues for awhile. But, I'm pleased to say, after over a decade away, we are back in the UK, living and re-experiencing a place we enjoyed in the mid-2000s. Social media has certainly changed the way we look at blogs. I'm excited to navigate this new world, explore just what people post, what people read. What's better on one of the many new platforms and what's still appropriate for good old fashioned blogosphere. For now, here's a peek at where we're staying -- in a pretty little village just outside of Oxford. A temporary home ...

They Started a Heat Wave

(sing) a tropical heat wave.... (White Christmas fans? anyone? c'mon..) Yes, there is a heat wave, with warm sun and highs of 30 but NOT HERE IN KOREA. Yes, it is warm and humid but there is no sun. Do you want to know where the sun has ended up? BELFAST!! Lucky bastards....I wanted a tan by August gosh darnit - I should have stayed with the Guinness. And, it wouldn't have been a day on this blog without some reference to the weather. The weekend was a nice long relaxing one but super panic hit on Monday night and I was ready to get out of the house. I was freaking out yet again about the garbage (what the hell is wrong with me?) and didn't have a great sleep. There is something to be said for cooping yourself up in your house to watch English speaking DVDs for a day. But I think this only stops you from experiencing the culture. I did venture out on Saturday by bus (whoa, crazy bus drivers) to Pusan where the open markets you can barter and get cheap shirts - thanks to my...

It Only Takes One Trip

I have a longer post to write, although it may not be until Monday. I don't want to alarm anyone who may actually know me but for the first time in my 30 years I have broken a bone. Nothing exciting, just slipped and fell outside the Family Mart and cracked my foot. What we thought was a sprain turned out to be a break and now, half cast and all, I'm the hob-along-teacher, bossing children all over the place to carry my books and get me water. If I knew the royal treatment I would get, I would have broken my foot months ago. Mother Ship and family posse - never fear. Will talk to you tomorrow.