Skip to main content

Thank you

to D's parents for picking us up at the airport, making us yummy scrumptious bbq, continuing to house boxes of our stuff that AGAIN i did not get time to go through, for taking us back to the airport.....

to D's sisters L and S, for hanging out, catching up and of course, sitting in the sun....

to little B and tiny L for being so cute and full of energy.....

to J and Z for showing up after a romantic ring-getting dinner, for providing the wine, staying up late even though you both had to work so early, for the great conversation......

to my T.Dot friends for dropping everything mid-week to spend time with an old pal....

to J and L, the beautiful couple who's fairytale wedding was more than inspiring and who's smiles made me smile for many days after....

to E and the Tyeger - little man, you are cuter than you know. it's almost harder to write to you now that we've met but I'm sure i've got a few more words of wisdom to share. your mom is such a super lady. not sure what i would do without her. it's weird to think that we can get together and everything is exactly as it was when we were 16.....

to TLO for preparing to get married so that we could all have a great excuse to surprise you for your bachelorette and for understanding why i couldn't be there on your special day....

to my Grandma N for hosting a girl-generation evening at her house. so nice to reconnect with older relatives, expecially when you get to have your mom there...

to my mom for being home every sunday when I call so that when we see each other in person, it feels like we have always been hanging out, for giving me the best quality time with you, for all the laughter and for helping me find a dress WITH STRAPS......

to my dad who continues to be the life of the party, for remembering to bring us CDs of the band's latest music, for still giving the best guy hugs in the world.......

to my sister C who amongst her boxes and first-home-buying stress managed to spare moments for sister time, for letting me eat her bagels, for letting me crash on her couch, for letting me swim in her pool, for letting me host her here in Belfast in 4 weeks time!!....

to my Grandma P for always having food ready when i arrive, for still holding onto that N. Irish accent, for staying up late partying, for hugs....

to my cousins, one who will be a dad very soon, one who's flashy car was the hit of the party, one who will be off on her own adventure soon, for pulling together for the human pyramid picture we are always talking about....

to Canadian karma for giving me such great Canada day vibes, wonderful sun and a spectacular holiday....

now, off to battle jet lag....

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

They Started a Heat Wave

(sing) a tropical heat wave.... (White Christmas fans? anyone? c'mon..) Yes, there is a heat wave, with warm sun and highs of 30 but NOT HERE IN KOREA. Yes, it is warm and humid but there is no sun. Do you want to know where the sun has ended up? BELFAST!! Lucky bastards....I wanted a tan by August gosh darnit - I should have stayed with the Guinness. And, it wouldn't have been a day on this blog without some reference to the weather. The weekend was a nice long relaxing one but super panic hit on Monday night and I was ready to get out of the house. I was freaking out yet again about the garbage (what the hell is wrong with me?) and didn't have a great sleep. There is something to be said for cooping yourself up in your house to watch English speaking DVDs for a day. But I think this only stops you from experiencing the culture. I did venture out on Saturday by bus (whoa, crazy bus drivers) to Pusan where the open markets you can barter and get cheap shirts - thanks to my

Korean Drivers Manual

1 - First and foremost, you are the only car on the road. Please drive this way. 2 - Be sure to keep a tally of the number of pedestrians you hit. 10 points for old ladies, 20 for young children (they can run faster you see). You can also add 5 points for each near miss and pat yourself on the back for trying. 3 - Red lights can tend to get in the way of your driving. Simply proceed through them if you need to. Honk your horn to make sure the cars that actually have the right of way know you'll be sailing through the intersection. 4 - Signalling is recommended but your car does not have blind spots. Just go ahead an change lanes. 5 - It works best if you keep one foot on the gas and one foot on the brakes at all times. This will allow you to continually pump the breaks all the way down the street avoiding 'other cars' while still revving your engine and going at the speed of light during those intervals when you are not slamming on your brakes. (By 'other cars' I

Beer Goggles and Nostalgia

We've all had a 'beer goggles' moment, one where something just looked SO DAMN GOOD that you leapt in feet first or lips first, in awe of your chance encounter with some kind of greatness. I ended up clicking on an ad link in Facebook today about teaching in Korea and I was quite impressed by the video for its 'beer goggles' way of presenting Sparkling Korea. Sparkling Korea For most of you who don't know, Sparkling Korea is actually Korea Tourism's slogan for the place. It was quite a funny inside joke of all us teachers about how 'Sparkling' the place could be. The cities had their own slogans, usually with really ridiculous adjectives placed in front of the town's name. Unfortunately none come to mind however when I saw this video, I thought for sure the makers could work for Korea Tourism. A few things they are correct - you CAN save $1000 a month and YOU DO get a bonus when you leave. You can also stress for the duration of your contract abo