Skip to main content

Get a Life

The past week and a half have been so dramatically different than our 3 previous months here.

We have been out pretty much every night, not exactly Belfast style, but just getting out of the house and enjoying adult English conversation.

With our new teacher B and my new best friend K - she's a girl from Michigan who we met a few weeks back by chance and we clicked instantly. She's Korean American teaching here and lives right near our hogwan so it's easy to just meet up with her. Plus, she's a fellow Gemini and you know how us crazies get on - anyway, with their introduction into our lives it feels a bit like we now have some...lives that is.

I suppose that was one of the biggest adjustments. Not having a social life and not being able to switch off from work. D and I did a good job on the weekends simply saying that on Friday night, no more school talk. But during the week, we couldn't help but moan a bit about our days. And we had holed ourselves up in our apartment, watching DVDs and not really venturing out during the week for fear exhaustion would kill us.

I suppose I feel a bit more tired since we have been out during the week but at the same time, I don't mind being tired as long as it's from enjoying life and not from stress, work and worry.

Last night I had a strange worlds-colliding moment as I met two of my dad's business associates out for dinner with a Korean business man who is working with them. I sat through dinner, happy to have a chat with a couple of dudes from Chicago. I watched them struggle..and succeed..with their chopsticks and thought of how many different countries and cities and cultures my dad has been through. He must have been just like them.

(Okay, well not EXACTLY like them with the chopsticks thing because for as long as I can remember, our family ate Chinese food with chopsticks. I grew up thinking everyone really already knew how to use chopsticks and even still find it odd when people ask if I know how. Then, I feel like I sound a bit pretentious when I say 'Yes. I've been eating with them for as long as I can remember. Now pass me my mallet Jeeves, it's time to play some croquet with William and Harry. I think Charles is sitting this one out however. And don't let old Lizzie in. She'll surely whip our posh derrieres.')

So I felt a bit closer to him all the way in Korea and made the two dudes promise to say hello and let him know I missed him and although they drew the line at giving him a big hug for me, they did promise to let him know that I was looking happy and healthy.

There is talk one of them wil be back in a months time and with a little presuasion (and I suppose work justification) I'm hoping maybe my dad will get back here with him.

Dinner was finished early enough that I headed to our 'local', this cheezy American-style place called Beer and Girls where D, teacher B and Korean Best Friend K were waiting.

It reminded me of so many times in Belfast on a Friday night, when I would be getting back late from work and D would already be out with the gang and then I would arrive a bit later.

It kinda felt just like that.

So I'm certain I've almost found my place in Korea. My comfort space. A way to call it home.

And somehow, that makes the kindergartens all that more cuter.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

They Started a Heat Wave

(sing) a tropical heat wave.... (White Christmas fans? anyone? c'mon..) Yes, there is a heat wave, with warm sun and highs of 30 but NOT HERE IN KOREA. Yes, it is warm and humid but there is no sun. Do you want to know where the sun has ended up? BELFAST!! Lucky bastards....I wanted a tan by August gosh darnit - I should have stayed with the Guinness. And, it wouldn't have been a day on this blog without some reference to the weather. The weekend was a nice long relaxing one but super panic hit on Monday night and I was ready to get out of the house. I was freaking out yet again about the garbage (what the hell is wrong with me?) and didn't have a great sleep. There is something to be said for cooping yourself up in your house to watch English speaking DVDs for a day. But I think this only stops you from experiencing the culture. I did venture out on Saturday by bus (whoa, crazy bus drivers) to Pusan where the open markets you can barter and get cheap shirts - thanks to my

Korean Drivers Manual

1 - First and foremost, you are the only car on the road. Please drive this way. 2 - Be sure to keep a tally of the number of pedestrians you hit. 10 points for old ladies, 20 for young children (they can run faster you see). You can also add 5 points for each near miss and pat yourself on the back for trying. 3 - Red lights can tend to get in the way of your driving. Simply proceed through them if you need to. Honk your horn to make sure the cars that actually have the right of way know you'll be sailing through the intersection. 4 - Signalling is recommended but your car does not have blind spots. Just go ahead an change lanes. 5 - It works best if you keep one foot on the gas and one foot on the brakes at all times. This will allow you to continually pump the breaks all the way down the street avoiding 'other cars' while still revving your engine and going at the speed of light during those intervals when you are not slamming on your brakes. (By 'other cars' I

Beer Goggles and Nostalgia

We've all had a 'beer goggles' moment, one where something just looked SO DAMN GOOD that you leapt in feet first or lips first, in awe of your chance encounter with some kind of greatness. I ended up clicking on an ad link in Facebook today about teaching in Korea and I was quite impressed by the video for its 'beer goggles' way of presenting Sparkling Korea. Sparkling Korea For most of you who don't know, Sparkling Korea is actually Korea Tourism's slogan for the place. It was quite a funny inside joke of all us teachers about how 'Sparkling' the place could be. The cities had their own slogans, usually with really ridiculous adjectives placed in front of the town's name. Unfortunately none come to mind however when I saw this video, I thought for sure the makers could work for Korea Tourism. A few things they are correct - you CAN save $1000 a month and YOU DO get a bonus when you leave. You can also stress for the duration of your contract abo