Skip to main content

Lessons in Technology

I'm a bit concerned about the way that job hunting now seems to be consumed with technology.

Don't get me wrong, I love the job websites just as much as the next guy. And the ability to actually email your resume to someone has always been more advantageous than say, a mass mailout to every company in your preferred industry.

But I'm wondering if perhaps some companies have taken things just a bit too far.

Every weekday, I wake up, have breakfast, read the paper, head to the computer to 'work'. My day of work consists of research, writing, talking of on the phone. It feels like a full time job.

It's very productive, I feel as though I'm really getting myself back to a 9-5 routine, not necessarily a bad thing. I'm reintegrating myself with the Canadian lifestyle, finding out what all the hot buttons are. Wondering if and when the snow will ever go away.

This is all good. All productive. All very very hunky dory.

What worries me, though, is that all the work I tend to put in might not actually produce anything. It seems that the new systems that have been set up since I was away really just make you feel like you've worked really hard all day to find a job when in the end, you've just done a lot of work for a robot.

In the past, I worked diligently to write the perfect cover letter. I wanted to get people's attention, stand out from the rest, show the prospective employer that I was the perfect person to promote them because hey, look how well I can promote me??

I also paid attention to spacing. And font. And font size. And the amount of toner used. And the prettiness of the paper. Because I was sending off a paper-representation of me, something I wanted to reflect who I was, something that I thought would make a person want to meet with me.

But these days, it's left to a computer to do that for me. Companies are turning more towards the database systems less towards the reading-the-resume systems to find people for their positions.

Every day, I am faced with online systems that ask me questions (what were you like in highschool?) and require my "10 top skills" in order, with relevant years experience in each. I'm often baffled at how many years to put for 'communications'. 32? Cause I'm pretty sure my mother can back up the fact that I've never had a problem 'communicating'.

I suppose this system helps employers streamline the tediuosness of sifting through resumes. But I can't help but think it also allows them to hide behind this veil of not hiring from within. "Look, see, we advertised this job. We put it out there for people and we asked them to send us their skills. Unfortunately, we went with someone internally."

Not that that's a bad thing either. One of the biggest complaints I can remember is that people had to leave companies to get ahead. And just as it costs more money to get new customers than it does to retain them, so too does this hold true for employees.

I guess I just suppose that when the control was in my hands, when it wasn't R2D2 deciding that I would be pulled out from the hundredes of resumes that has the word 'hard worker' in them, I felt a little bit more like it was part of my destiny.

I had cared about the cover letter. And that had got someone's attention.

I had researched the company and found a common point of interest.

I had formatted it in such as way that it was easy to read, the key points jumped out of the page and there were no weird spaces to leave a reader disappointed.

I'm happy to continue this game of data entry. I will continue to enter in the same information to numerous websites. I will strive to figure out the correct combinations of key words and skills that will rank me at the top of a computer database list.

I'm just not sure what turns a computer on....the offer of more RAM??

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

They Started a Heat Wave

(sing) a tropical heat wave.... (White Christmas fans? anyone? c'mon..) Yes, there is a heat wave, with warm sun and highs of 30 but NOT HERE IN KOREA. Yes, it is warm and humid but there is no sun. Do you want to know where the sun has ended up? BELFAST!! Lucky bastards....I wanted a tan by August gosh darnit - I should have stayed with the Guinness. And, it wouldn't have been a day on this blog without some reference to the weather. The weekend was a nice long relaxing one but super panic hit on Monday night and I was ready to get out of the house. I was freaking out yet again about the garbage (what the hell is wrong with me?) and didn't have a great sleep. There is something to be said for cooping yourself up in your house to watch English speaking DVDs for a day. But I think this only stops you from experiencing the culture. I did venture out on Saturday by bus (whoa, crazy bus drivers) to Pusan where the open markets you can barter and get cheap shirts - thanks to my

Korean Drivers Manual

1 - First and foremost, you are the only car on the road. Please drive this way. 2 - Be sure to keep a tally of the number of pedestrians you hit. 10 points for old ladies, 20 for young children (they can run faster you see). You can also add 5 points for each near miss and pat yourself on the back for trying. 3 - Red lights can tend to get in the way of your driving. Simply proceed through them if you need to. Honk your horn to make sure the cars that actually have the right of way know you'll be sailing through the intersection. 4 - Signalling is recommended but your car does not have blind spots. Just go ahead an change lanes. 5 - It works best if you keep one foot on the gas and one foot on the brakes at all times. This will allow you to continually pump the breaks all the way down the street avoiding 'other cars' while still revving your engine and going at the speed of light during those intervals when you are not slamming on your brakes. (By 'other cars' I

Beer Goggles and Nostalgia

We've all had a 'beer goggles' moment, one where something just looked SO DAMN GOOD that you leapt in feet first or lips first, in awe of your chance encounter with some kind of greatness. I ended up clicking on an ad link in Facebook today about teaching in Korea and I was quite impressed by the video for its 'beer goggles' way of presenting Sparkling Korea. Sparkling Korea For most of you who don't know, Sparkling Korea is actually Korea Tourism's slogan for the place. It was quite a funny inside joke of all us teachers about how 'Sparkling' the place could be. The cities had their own slogans, usually with really ridiculous adjectives placed in front of the town's name. Unfortunately none come to mind however when I saw this video, I thought for sure the makers could work for Korea Tourism. A few things they are correct - you CAN save $1000 a month and YOU DO get a bonus when you leave. You can also stress for the duration of your contract abo