Skip to main content
Vint Day 2004

With my parents living in a different country, every time I have visited over the past few years, it has always been like a holiday.

And holidays are great. You get to sightsee, eat loads, drink loads all in the name of "vacation".

But sometimes, because it has always been so short, I find myself wishing that I could just lounge around on their couch and act as though I see them every day.

This time, it was more like that.

Because D and I arrived 5 days before everyone else, there wasn't any pressure to act like it was vacation.

We could just sit around. We watched television. We ate in instead of eating out. We went to bed at a reasonable time.

My mom fixed a weird face reaction that I seemed to be having.

It was just like as though we lived around the corner instead of an 8 hour drive away.

I loved it.

Of course, by Friday, the extravaganza was ready to begin. My youngest sister had flown from her college in NC. My younger sister and her boyfriend were on their way from Toronto. My brother came across town from his college.

And the Vints were in full swing for Vint Day.

There were photographs, fancy sitting portait ones and then of course our off the wall one that included all of us with a mask from Alice in Wonderland - we can't do everything the same! We MUST do things just a twinge differently then everyone else :).

Then there was champagne - Dom Perignon (did I spell that right?) - and lots of giggles - "That stuff will hit ya". There was video footage. Lots more pictures. And we watched the Mad Hatter Tea Party feature on the Alice in Wonderland DVD, which really made you feel like you were high on something...but then again, that could have been the champagne.

There was karaoke. We all sang - except of course for mom and the boyfriends - but we were able to sing multiple times and still get home to drink amongst ourselves and do more chatting.

There was a night of bowling, eventually, drunken bowling which was followed by the Oscars in my parents living room.

There was an hour long DVD that my brother had put together of our Vint family video archives. They're so much more interesting when someone has edited and clipped them for you.

There was an amazing BBQ steak dinner. There was lots of tea. There were many bowls of the tomato and cilantro dip that my sisters, mom and I have fallen in love with.

There was just lots of us being us, and us being us together.

I always miss my family when I have to leave. I distance myself sometimes because it's just easier then feeling like we live around the corner all the time because then we I have to go, sadness hits me.

My parents have raised us to be very independant people. We are all taking control of our lives and I'm sure, as parents, it's great to see your kids be able to be so independant. When we see them now, it is because we want to hang out and be with them, not because we are looking for a free dinner or have to get some laundry done.

Being far away makes us appreciate us.

And soon, I'll be even farther away. I don't know if I could appreciate all their character and spark more then I already do.

*****

Mosaic Minds Reads

Just wanted to give you all a run down of my articles on Mosaic Minds this month:

Check my story on my old family home and what I learned through letting go.

Wanna see a movie? Good date flick and good thinking flick.

A destination for a princess - this place is honeymoon material.

A new hobby to organize my junk.

There are a ton of other stories by amazing women so please check those out too. Just couldn't help a bit of a plug on all this writing I've been doing.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

They Started a Heat Wave

(sing) a tropical heat wave.... (White Christmas fans? anyone? c'mon..) Yes, there is a heat wave, with warm sun and highs of 30 but NOT HERE IN KOREA. Yes, it is warm and humid but there is no sun. Do you want to know where the sun has ended up? BELFAST!! Lucky bastards....I wanted a tan by August gosh darnit - I should have stayed with the Guinness. And, it wouldn't have been a day on this blog without some reference to the weather. The weekend was a nice long relaxing one but super panic hit on Monday night and I was ready to get out of the house. I was freaking out yet again about the garbage (what the hell is wrong with me?) and didn't have a great sleep. There is something to be said for cooping yourself up in your house to watch English speaking DVDs for a day. But I think this only stops you from experiencing the culture. I did venture out on Saturday by bus (whoa, crazy bus drivers) to Pusan where the open markets you can barter and get cheap shirts - thanks to my

Korean Drivers Manual

1 - First and foremost, you are the only car on the road. Please drive this way. 2 - Be sure to keep a tally of the number of pedestrians you hit. 10 points for old ladies, 20 for young children (they can run faster you see). You can also add 5 points for each near miss and pat yourself on the back for trying. 3 - Red lights can tend to get in the way of your driving. Simply proceed through them if you need to. Honk your horn to make sure the cars that actually have the right of way know you'll be sailing through the intersection. 4 - Signalling is recommended but your car does not have blind spots. Just go ahead an change lanes. 5 - It works best if you keep one foot on the gas and one foot on the brakes at all times. This will allow you to continually pump the breaks all the way down the street avoiding 'other cars' while still revving your engine and going at the speed of light during those intervals when you are not slamming on your brakes. (By 'other cars' I

Beer Goggles and Nostalgia

We've all had a 'beer goggles' moment, one where something just looked SO DAMN GOOD that you leapt in feet first or lips first, in awe of your chance encounter with some kind of greatness. I ended up clicking on an ad link in Facebook today about teaching in Korea and I was quite impressed by the video for its 'beer goggles' way of presenting Sparkling Korea. Sparkling Korea For most of you who don't know, Sparkling Korea is actually Korea Tourism's slogan for the place. It was quite a funny inside joke of all us teachers about how 'Sparkling' the place could be. The cities had their own slogans, usually with really ridiculous adjectives placed in front of the town's name. Unfortunately none come to mind however when I saw this video, I thought for sure the makers could work for Korea Tourism. A few things they are correct - you CAN save $1000 a month and YOU DO get a bonus when you leave. You can also stress for the duration of your contract abo