Skip to main content
What is the Point?

There has been a bit of a debate over the last couple of days on the sites I frequent, specifically this one and this one that has got me thinking about what is the whole point of a blog?

I have been writing in a journal ever since I could pick up a pen. When I was younger, I was much better at filling it in ever day. "Today I went to school. I have a crush on J. I hope he likes me too. We are going to the zoo this weekend" that sort of thing.

Other times, I would be more reflective, especially during my teenage years. Reading over some of those entries makes me realize just how melodramatic one can be. But, as we all know, it's the hormones, isn't it?

University came and there were a significant amount of entries but nothing about the day to day. More reflective, perhaps less melodrama and definitely less frequent.

And, somewhere along the way, it stopped. I have little or no record of many months of my life. It was like the real world had sucked all the creativity out of me.

I didn't want to write about anything because I hated most of the things that were going on in my life. I was angry at myself for many of the choices I had made, not realizing that I'm not well suited for perfection and making mistakes is all part of the journey.

Not only was I miserable, but I had lost all desire to record my life as I had always done.

And then I was introduced to blogging. It was my late friend Thea who suggested it for me.

She had actually seen right through me during my greedy corporate time. I went for drinks with her once, complaining about my job, my going-nowhere career, my lack of creativity.

I was doing the 'if only' routine. If only I was working for a newspaper, magazine, website. If only I could become a freelance writer.

Why not start a blog?, she said. Just write.

And so, I did. And at first, it was very cryptic. It was actually at another site . I haven't looked back at that page until today. Scary.

When I decided to take off on my travelling adventures, everyone was telling me to keep a journal. And since I had found this new way to write my thoughts, I decided to dedicate a blog specifically to my experiences abroad.

And so, Coulda Woulda Shoulda was born. I have been writing ever since. Between this and Mosaic Minds , I am a writer, even if I don't do it for that much money yet.

And every morning, when I sit down to my computer, I use this blog as a tool to get my day starting. It's part of the creative cycle. It allows me to use my creative muscle first thing in the morning. Feisty gives a great explanation of the creative benefits of a blog on her site last Friday which, as I was reading, had me saying 'exactly' over and over again.

What is hard to separate, sometimes, is that people might actually be reading. I know of certain friends who pay attention but I am not always conscious that someone may want to make a comment - positive or negative - to what I'm saying.

These comments would be unsolicited, and yet, I have the comments screen up on my site, am I not asking for it? If I validate the positive comments do I not also have to validate the negative ones?

Fair question however my answer is no and I'll tell you why:

This is a space for me. This is a journal and if you opened up your hard copy journal to anyone, they could say all they liked but it would still be your space to write.

I can also choose to ignore it and continue to write whatever I like.

Comments do add another dimension. They can open your eyes to your own writing or can be simply used as a tool to say,

'hello, i'm here and i enjoy reading'

or

'hello, i'm here, i don't enjoy reading but i'm obviously a big loser because why would I spend the energy writing to someone i obviously don't enjoy when I could just as easily CLOSE THE BROWSER OR CLICK SOMEWHERE ELSE!'

If I want constructive criticism, I go to people whom I trust and respect for that. I don't use this blog as a space for people to critique. I also don't necessarily post my best writing to this site. It is a stream of consciousness, a mental release, that I choose to do for myself. If others are keen to read, great. But, I've really just become attached to the keyboard as opposed to the pen.

I have also learned a lot about my writing through the process. How I structure sentences, how to end a story well, how tell a good story without being longwinded, how to focus my energy.

With all the moving around I do, this is better than a hardcopy journal. This allows me to record details, events, thoughts, hopes and dreams that I have, without having to lug around a book with me everywhere I go.

Another part of the discussion that is going on has to do with doing more than one creative task ie writing, painting, designing, photography.

Creative people get bored easily. So do Geminis, which makes this a double edge sword for me. I know I will end up doing many different things career wise as well as personally, simply because, I will go mad if I am stuck doing one thing for the rest of my life.

And I learned this early on. When I was little I took a soccer summer course, my sister took ballet. The next year, I tried breakdancing, my sister took ballet. The year after that, I gave Judo a whirl, my sister took ballet. The following year came the drama class and my sister...you see where I'm going with this.

My sister has almost 20 years of ballet training, and she continues to teach to this day. It's something she loves. It's something she's good at. It's something she will never get bored with.

Me, I have tried judo, breakdancing, soccer, canoeing, drama, creative writing, violin, track and field, field hockey, yearbook design, fencing, badminton, rowing, horseback riding, conversational french, girl guiding, creative writing...and the list goes on.

What am I good at? What keeps me from getting bored? Being creative.

And so that's what I'll continue to do, even if it means I will never be perfect at one task. I would rather be a jack of many trades than a master of one.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

They Started a Heat Wave

(sing) a tropical heat wave.... (White Christmas fans? anyone? c'mon..) Yes, there is a heat wave, with warm sun and highs of 30 but NOT HERE IN KOREA. Yes, it is warm and humid but there is no sun. Do you want to know where the sun has ended up? BELFAST!! Lucky bastards....I wanted a tan by August gosh darnit - I should have stayed with the Guinness. And, it wouldn't have been a day on this blog without some reference to the weather. The weekend was a nice long relaxing one but super panic hit on Monday night and I was ready to get out of the house. I was freaking out yet again about the garbage (what the hell is wrong with me?) and didn't have a great sleep. There is something to be said for cooping yourself up in your house to watch English speaking DVDs for a day. But I think this only stops you from experiencing the culture. I did venture out on Saturday by bus (whoa, crazy bus drivers) to Pusan where the open markets you can barter and get cheap shirts - thanks to my

Korean Drivers Manual

1 - First and foremost, you are the only car on the road. Please drive this way. 2 - Be sure to keep a tally of the number of pedestrians you hit. 10 points for old ladies, 20 for young children (they can run faster you see). You can also add 5 points for each near miss and pat yourself on the back for trying. 3 - Red lights can tend to get in the way of your driving. Simply proceed through them if you need to. Honk your horn to make sure the cars that actually have the right of way know you'll be sailing through the intersection. 4 - Signalling is recommended but your car does not have blind spots. Just go ahead an change lanes. 5 - It works best if you keep one foot on the gas and one foot on the brakes at all times. This will allow you to continually pump the breaks all the way down the street avoiding 'other cars' while still revving your engine and going at the speed of light during those intervals when you are not slamming on your brakes. (By 'other cars' I

Beer Goggles and Nostalgia

We've all had a 'beer goggles' moment, one where something just looked SO DAMN GOOD that you leapt in feet first or lips first, in awe of your chance encounter with some kind of greatness. I ended up clicking on an ad link in Facebook today about teaching in Korea and I was quite impressed by the video for its 'beer goggles' way of presenting Sparkling Korea. Sparkling Korea For most of you who don't know, Sparkling Korea is actually Korea Tourism's slogan for the place. It was quite a funny inside joke of all us teachers about how 'Sparkling' the place could be. The cities had their own slogans, usually with really ridiculous adjectives placed in front of the town's name. Unfortunately none come to mind however when I saw this video, I thought for sure the makers could work for Korea Tourism. A few things they are correct - you CAN save $1000 a month and YOU DO get a bonus when you leave. You can also stress for the duration of your contract abo