Skip to main content

What a Difference a Week Makes

It amazes me that my intentions were to post entries on the busiest days of my hoilday.

It would have been great to recap, day by day, all the emotions that were raging around during those days.

A recap of events is probably the easiest.

Wednesday night Madness - my father's side of the family put the party on for my sister and my new brother in law (okay THAT is weird). As we walked in the door, there were lots of AHHHHHHHs and arms raised it triumphant position only to be wrapped around us with bear hugs. I was so excited that I missed the bride completely as she tried to hug me. Whoops. Bridesmaid mistake numero uno.

Thursday Practice Time - the rehersal was brief and we learned later why maybe that wasn't such a good thing. It started to kick in that my sister was ACTUALLY GOING TO WALK DOWN AN AISLE when she walked down the middle of the empty function room at the hotel we were staying at. The after party was full on. Great food, great company, great booze and great goodness did I get drunk! What happened to my Irish stamina?

Friday Chill Out - we headed to the bride and groom's help with a few last finishing jobs before heading to the Waterside Inn for the evening before the big evening. After a nice BBQ, girls arrived at the spa for 3pm, in time to take a dip into the hot tub, get back into robes before heading to get our hands and feet done. I treated the girls to a bottle of champagne and we sat, relaxed, sipping the bubbly I had become obessed with since C's stagette weekend in Chicago. After a nice meal with the boys, it was up to the suite for some popcorn, girly talk and sleeping. I spent the last hour up giggling with bridesmaid J, like two school girls on a sleepover. Was sure C was passed out in no time.

Saturday Big Day - all up bright and early so what better to do then head to Starbucks? Hair and make up ladies arrive at 10:30. Last minute jobs - the main one keepin the bride calm - continue until about 3:30 where we are all dressed, with hair and makeup done and of course, glasses of champagne to prepare us for the ceremony. A few funny glitches make the ceremony most memorable and so C and K. Dinner served promptly, food FANTASTIC, multiple times C and I turned to each other going, 'are we at the head table of your wedding?', speeches were touching but rolled along on schedule and as per bride's previous wish, she was dancing at 9. Tear jerking dance with dad and then the rest of us were off, shaking our booty til the wee hours in the morning. The after party in my room, however, was not so much an after party but more the-host-has-decided-to-sleep party. Not even drunk but definitely 'knackered'.

Sunday Brunchin-it-Up - Mom saved the day with Gatorade and mini sandwiches. Stories from the night before circulated and laughter heard round the room all over again. A wonderfully social end to a very jovial wedding.

There are so many more stories but I just wanted to get a bit down before I dash off.

Small Town was as always, the most relaxing, comforting two days I spend when I come home to Canada. The friends you've had forever really are the most important. I'll save it for a letter to the tyeger but quite a moving experience.

Off to the big T-dot tonight for some city style partying. D and I have treated ourselves to a hotel room for the night. A little retail therapy this afternoon will also fit the bill.

Hope to update on Saturday.


Popular posts from this blog

I'm baaaack!

Hard to believe that last entry was almost three years ago!

Many moons ago, I set this blog up to chronicle our journeys. Once we were grounded a bit more, it kind of lost its way. I spent some time working on my writing offline, taking on different projects and working full time as a technical writer. It was difficult to keep this blog up. Not for any real reason I can articulate. Just had my words redirected to other avenues for awhile.
But, I'm pleased to say, after over a decade away, we are back in the UK, living and re-experiencing a place we enjoyed in the mid-2000s.
Social media has certainly changed the way we look at blogs. I'm excited to navigate this new world, explore just what people post, what people read. What's better on one of the many new platforms and what's still appropriate for good old fashioned blogosphere.
For now, here's a peek at where we're staying -- in a pretty little village just outside of Oxford. A temporary home for now but suc…

Room with a view

We've been in our new home for 10 weeks nos and it's feeling more like home than ever.Every day, I sit down at my desk to the most inspiring view.A collection of stories is building. This space makes it easy to gather my thoughts.I've been consumed with a few work projects and am looking forward to collecting my thoughts soon.Writers club is still going ... I was on a bit of a hiatus but hope to get into my routine for fall. For now, boat gazing is helping.

One thing

It's that time of year again. That time when we all decide to become a little more of our better selves.

It's a good time of year to commit to something, even if just to say you're going to try to make it happen. And, even if things don't change and perhaps you even fail at whatever you were resolving, it's actually just the action of pledging change that really brings the most benefit.

And so, this year, as I'm sure most writers are pledging, I pledge to WRITE. MORE.

Not necessarily blog more. But write more. Keep the act of it going. Commit to treating it as my craft instead of my hobby. Promising to keep it a hobby at heart but a skill in practice.

I've started a daily journal again - one page per day -- of anything, really mostly a rundown of what I did that day. Or heck, even a bit of stream of consciousness of what's banging around in the old head that day.

I also bought another daily Q&A book that, if I'm successful, will carry me across…