Skip to main content
Four More...

I only recently became an addict.

Leeds did it to me.

I'm not sure if it was the isolation from friends, the lack social activities or my competitiveness.

But it got to me - under my skin. And now, it seems, I can't live without it.

It's step aerobics. I just can't get enough.

I was never one to even go to the gym in my early twenties. I used to play sports to keep in shape.

When I did go, it would be to do a few weights. I could never get into the machines and certainly did not think that a class would be worthwhile.

I always had images of Jane Fonda with her tights, leg warmers and eighties hair. Ick.

I also never like to do things that were trendy or that everyone else was doing. This is why I always said I was never really a fan of New Kids on the Block and when I finally caved to peer pressure I decided the cutest was Danny - the one no one else really liked. But I digress...

So, when my British friend asked me to go to Step Aerobics class with her, I was skeptical.

I must humbly admit that I also thought it might be too easy. Kinda like advanced dancing - not that I can dance but I never really was out of breath from it.

I figured I had nothing to lose - I'll try most things once.

It kicked my ass. Literally. My butt and legs were sore for an entire week after that 45 minute session.

It was then I knew that if I wanted to really get into shape, this was the way to do it.

My coordination was not good the first couple of sessions. I consider myself someone who has fairly good control over their arm and leg movements. But, add a step and exhaustion and I think Fred Astaire would have some problems.

But I improved. And I started to notice a change in my body. I had these muscles in the places I never knew.

And I felt great. The rush of any cardiovascular activity is so worth the pain and suffering you must endure to get yourself up to a reasonable working-out level.

So, when we left Leeds, we had a problem.

I knew I wasn't going to be exercising when we travelled, but once we got back to Canada, I knew I would have to find a way.

Last week, I started to feel lethargic, tired, unmotivated. And I new I needed my fix.

So I signed up with a gym and went to my first class yesterday. Today, I'm feeling the pain but I know it's good pain. I love that pain.

And I also discovered yet another cultural difference.

Leeds Aerobics Class - Our instructor was bubbly and energetic. She would occasionally ask us 'how's everybody doing?' or something to that effect. Straight faced. No one answered. No one wanted to be noticed. No one smiled. Except for me. But I felt as though I was standing out in the class because of my over eager North American enthusiasm.

Canadian Aerobics Class - Our instructor has the same personality. And everyone in the class responded to that. When she asked "How many more?" we answered "Four more...three more...two more...". I'm not sure how much I like this as it seems to bring back memories of Fonda. But maybe, in my heart I am a Fonda girl.

One thing is for sure - it still gives me that accomplished feeling. And those 'happy hormones' are kicking in again.

I just hope it will help my creative juices.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Beer Goggles and Nostalgia

We've all had a 'beer goggles' moment, one where something just looked SO DAMN GOOD that you leapt in feet first or lips first, in awe of your chance encounter with some kind of greatness. I ended up clicking on an ad link in Facebook today about teaching in Korea and I was quite impressed by the video for its 'beer goggles' way of presenting Sparkling Korea. Sparkling Korea For most of you who don't know, Sparkling Korea is actually Korea Tourism's slogan for the place. It was quite a funny inside joke of all us teachers about how 'Sparkling' the place could be. The cities had their own slogans, usually with really ridiculous adjectives placed in front of the town's name. Unfortunately none come to mind however when I saw this video, I thought for sure the makers could work for Korea Tourism. A few things they are correct - you CAN save $1000 a month and YOU DO get a bonus when you leave. You can also stress for the duration of your contract abo

Korean Drivers Manual

1 - First and foremost, you are the only car on the road. Please drive this way. 2 - Be sure to keep a tally of the number of pedestrians you hit. 10 points for old ladies, 20 for young children (they can run faster you see). You can also add 5 points for each near miss and pat yourself on the back for trying. 3 - Red lights can tend to get in the way of your driving. Simply proceed through them if you need to. Honk your horn to make sure the cars that actually have the right of way know you'll be sailing through the intersection. 4 - Signalling is recommended but your car does not have blind spots. Just go ahead an change lanes. 5 - It works best if you keep one foot on the gas and one foot on the brakes at all times. This will allow you to continually pump the breaks all the way down the street avoiding 'other cars' while still revving your engine and going at the speed of light during those intervals when you are not slamming on your brakes. (By 'other cars' I

They Started a Heat Wave

(sing) a tropical heat wave.... (White Christmas fans? anyone? c'mon..) Yes, there is a heat wave, with warm sun and highs of 30 but NOT HERE IN KOREA. Yes, it is warm and humid but there is no sun. Do you want to know where the sun has ended up? BELFAST!! Lucky bastards....I wanted a tan by August gosh darnit - I should have stayed with the Guinness. And, it wouldn't have been a day on this blog without some reference to the weather. The weekend was a nice long relaxing one but super panic hit on Monday night and I was ready to get out of the house. I was freaking out yet again about the garbage (what the hell is wrong with me?) and didn't have a great sleep. There is something to be said for cooping yourself up in your house to watch English speaking DVDs for a day. But I think this only stops you from experiencing the culture. I did venture out on Saturday by bus (whoa, crazy bus drivers) to Pusan where the open markets you can barter and get cheap shirts - thanks to my