Skip to main content
Granny Snowbird

There have been moments when I realized that I am getting old.

Like the time I walked into a club and thought it must be underage night only to find that everyone was in their early twenties.

Or like the time I walked past a group of ladies in Leeds on a hen night and 'tsk tsked' them at being out in next to nothing on a cold evening.

There was also the time I decided to stop watching all sports as I didn't like the fact all the atheletes were now all younger than me.

And now, we come to last night.

I picked D up from his new job - feeling quite 'wifey' with my matching hat and gloves and red Subaru with a kid seat in the back.

The first thing he said as he jumped in the car:

"What are you listening to?"

"CBC Talk Radio"

"Oh, you want to put on a shawl and fly down to Florida for your retirement too?"

I love him because he's dry and deadpan and makes me accountable for my decisions.

I had to shake my head because I suddenly realized I was going to start defending why I was listening to talk radio.

It wasn't because I had had a lapse in good judgement. I really WAS enjoying talk radio. I found it was giving me creative ideas.

Lately, I've been in need of some inspiration. You know, the ups and downs of creativity. And so, when I was in the car a couple of days earlier, someone had left it on CBC Talk radio. I started listening, with the same type of attitude D had about it.

And then, I was kinda hooked. I liked the sound of someone's voice. It felt like I was learning. It felt like I was in school. I felt like I wasn't just wasting my time driving around doing errands but that I was maximizing the amount I could learn in a day.

It felt good.

And so I responded to D:

"I like talk radio"

"Since when?"

"Since today"

He smiled and shook his head.

"Okay"

And that was it.

So now I'm hooked. As long as they keep Dr. Laura away from me.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

They Started a Heat Wave

(sing) a tropical heat wave.... (White Christmas fans? anyone? c'mon..) Yes, there is a heat wave, with warm sun and highs of 30 but NOT HERE IN KOREA. Yes, it is warm and humid but there is no sun. Do you want to know where the sun has ended up? BELFAST!! Lucky bastards....I wanted a tan by August gosh darnit - I should have stayed with the Guinness. And, it wouldn't have been a day on this blog without some reference to the weather. The weekend was a nice long relaxing one but super panic hit on Monday night and I was ready to get out of the house. I was freaking out yet again about the garbage (what the hell is wrong with me?) and didn't have a great sleep. There is something to be said for cooping yourself up in your house to watch English speaking DVDs for a day. But I think this only stops you from experiencing the culture. I did venture out on Saturday by bus (whoa, crazy bus drivers) to Pusan where the open markets you can barter and get cheap shirts - thanks to my

Beer Goggles and Nostalgia

We've all had a 'beer goggles' moment, one where something just looked SO DAMN GOOD that you leapt in feet first or lips first, in awe of your chance encounter with some kind of greatness. I ended up clicking on an ad link in Facebook today about teaching in Korea and I was quite impressed by the video for its 'beer goggles' way of presenting Sparkling Korea. Sparkling Korea For most of you who don't know, Sparkling Korea is actually Korea Tourism's slogan for the place. It was quite a funny inside joke of all us teachers about how 'Sparkling' the place could be. The cities had their own slogans, usually with really ridiculous adjectives placed in front of the town's name. Unfortunately none come to mind however when I saw this video, I thought for sure the makers could work for Korea Tourism. A few things they are correct - you CAN save $1000 a month and YOU DO get a bonus when you leave. You can also stress for the duration of your contract abo

Korean Drivers Manual

1 - First and foremost, you are the only car on the road. Please drive this way. 2 - Be sure to keep a tally of the number of pedestrians you hit. 10 points for old ladies, 20 for young children (they can run faster you see). You can also add 5 points for each near miss and pat yourself on the back for trying. 3 - Red lights can tend to get in the way of your driving. Simply proceed through them if you need to. Honk your horn to make sure the cars that actually have the right of way know you'll be sailing through the intersection. 4 - Signalling is recommended but your car does not have blind spots. Just go ahead an change lanes. 5 - It works best if you keep one foot on the gas and one foot on the brakes at all times. This will allow you to continually pump the breaks all the way down the street avoiding 'other cars' while still revving your engine and going at the speed of light during those intervals when you are not slamming on your brakes. (By 'other cars' I