Skip to main content
Sisters, Sisters

I decided to head into the city this weekend. Hang out with my sister who for years lived right around the corner from me.

We went to the same university, lived in the same frat-house residence, hung out with relatively the same people.

We used to use each other for stuff.

"C, can you go to the bank for me?"

"A, can you pick me up from this (insert any downtown location from Tim Hortons to Whiskey Saigon)?"

We usually we end up being annoyed with each other's performance. She wouldn't have gone to the right bank. I would have been too late.

We didn't really hang out. We just kinda lived amongst each other.

She was literally a 5 minute walk. And I probably saw her twice a month. And only one of those times would actually have been a social visit.

I would always say the wrong things. She would always misinterpret what I meant. I would become annoyed with her overreaction. She was hurt by my complacency. We were growing in different directions.

We had always followed a similar path. When I got into high school, I started acting in the musicals. By the time she got there, the music teacher had taken a leave of absence and we were left with an eccentric English teacher who thought Phfifer's People - a comic strip from the 50s, I think - would go down well in as a high school production in small town Southern Ontario. We performed it together, with about 8 other people, confused. It was like acting out Dilbert skits for 2 hours. No one in the audience understood it and neither did we.

When I joined the field hockey team, I chose to be goalie because they needed one and I knew if I volunteered, they couldn't cut me from the team. When I graduated, my sister carried the torch and became the goalie for the team.

I went to Ryerson. So did she. I lived at OKH. So did she. And there had always been this pattern that we did the same things and were therefore, kinda so similar, we were like the same person, which I think is why I was perhaps so taken aback when I would offend her.

Since I have been back, I have seen her 5 times. We have been here for 2 months and if my math is right - which it isn't always - that is more than when I used to live around the corner from her.

I missed her and didn't realize it.

My mom said to me once over the phone when I'm sure I was complaining about how she was needy and immature that kinda stuck in my head.

"Well, soon you'll be living thousands of miles away from her and you won't have to see each other."

Those miles helped.

Now, we get together and recognize that we are different. She want very traditional things. I'm still trying to figure out what I want. Her world is one in which she has dinner parties and goes bridesmaid dress shopping and has the matching dining room set that originally was my grandmother's. I'm living in someone else's home and making plans to uproot myself again to live across the sea for a little while longer.

She eats right and counts her Weight Watcher points. I try to stick to a healthy diet but things go awry when you eat gyros for breakfast and sausages for lunch.

We both love hanging out with each other. We both worry about our parents. We both aspire to more travels around the world. We both know how to make each other howl.

I'm not just her big bossy sister any more. She is not just my little sister slave. We're adults. We're friends.

And soon, we'll be thousands of miles away again and we won't get to see each other.

And that's not even the half of it. Wait until I tell you about my littlest sister. She and I have grown to be very much alike. But that is for another day.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

They Started a Heat Wave

(sing) a tropical heat wave.... (White Christmas fans? anyone? c'mon..) Yes, there is a heat wave, with warm sun and highs of 30 but NOT HERE IN KOREA. Yes, it is warm and humid but there is no sun. Do you want to know where the sun has ended up? BELFAST!! Lucky bastards....I wanted a tan by August gosh darnit - I should have stayed with the Guinness. And, it wouldn't have been a day on this blog without some reference to the weather. The weekend was a nice long relaxing one but super panic hit on Monday night and I was ready to get out of the house. I was freaking out yet again about the garbage (what the hell is wrong with me?) and didn't have a great sleep. There is something to be said for cooping yourself up in your house to watch English speaking DVDs for a day. But I think this only stops you from experiencing the culture. I did venture out on Saturday by bus (whoa, crazy bus drivers) to Pusan where the open markets you can barter and get cheap shirts - thanks to my

Korean Drivers Manual

1 - First and foremost, you are the only car on the road. Please drive this way. 2 - Be sure to keep a tally of the number of pedestrians you hit. 10 points for old ladies, 20 for young children (they can run faster you see). You can also add 5 points for each near miss and pat yourself on the back for trying. 3 - Red lights can tend to get in the way of your driving. Simply proceed through them if you need to. Honk your horn to make sure the cars that actually have the right of way know you'll be sailing through the intersection. 4 - Signalling is recommended but your car does not have blind spots. Just go ahead an change lanes. 5 - It works best if you keep one foot on the gas and one foot on the brakes at all times. This will allow you to continually pump the breaks all the way down the street avoiding 'other cars' while still revving your engine and going at the speed of light during those intervals when you are not slamming on your brakes. (By 'other cars' I

Beer Goggles and Nostalgia

We've all had a 'beer goggles' moment, one where something just looked SO DAMN GOOD that you leapt in feet first or lips first, in awe of your chance encounter with some kind of greatness. I ended up clicking on an ad link in Facebook today about teaching in Korea and I was quite impressed by the video for its 'beer goggles' way of presenting Sparkling Korea. Sparkling Korea For most of you who don't know, Sparkling Korea is actually Korea Tourism's slogan for the place. It was quite a funny inside joke of all us teachers about how 'Sparkling' the place could be. The cities had their own slogans, usually with really ridiculous adjectives placed in front of the town's name. Unfortunately none come to mind however when I saw this video, I thought for sure the makers could work for Korea Tourism. A few things they are correct - you CAN save $1000 a month and YOU DO get a bonus when you leave. You can also stress for the duration of your contract abo